Design Tree Assignment
"Create a Unique Writing Assignment Prompt"
For: Practicum - Jimmy Butts
Fall 2016 Semester
Approaching Writing Visually:
In this assignment, you will approach the process of writing in a way that is purely visual. Start with something that is literally visceral, an image in mind, and begin writing from that point, instead of elaborate outlines, rough drafts, or real “planning” of any form. This is an exercise in spontaneity and purposeful lack of guidance. Also, consider throughout this exercise, the idea of your writing being inspired by a completely different genre/form of art.
- Take 15 minutes to browse the supplies provided on the table. The variety of materials is intentional.
- List of supplies includes: scissors, glue sticks, stickers, markers, acrylic paint, paintbrushes (variety of sizes), rubber stamps and colored inks, construction paper, computer paper, sharpies, chalk, glitter sticks, sequins, buttons, pens, highlighters, crayons, a variety of magazines for images/text.
- After choosing your supplies, spend the remainder of the time making a collage on the provided piece of construction paper.
- Use the materials of choice in creatively, liberally, instinctively, compulsively, and even messily.
- After the time is called, pass your collage to the person on your right (meaning you will also then receive a collage from the person on your left).
- Take the next 15-20 minutes and come up with a piece of writing (try for half a page to a page in length) that is based solely on your neighbor’s collage.
- Things to consider: what/how it makes you feel, colors and textures used, the text they chose to include (if any), the images, what the collage says in conversation with itself/its many variables.
- After the time is called, return the collage to its owner as well as give them the piece of writing it inspired.
- Read through this piece, and if time allows, try to expand on it in order to blend the dual inspirations into a working narrative that reads logically, is consistent in tone and subject.
CONSISTENCY IN NARRATIVE TONE
SOME SORT OF NARRATIVE ARC/PLOT
WRITING THAT EMPLOYS VIVID IMAGERY
CONCRETE IMAGES AND TEXTURE
CONTAINS INTERNAL LOGIC